A Message from Dan Glod, President, Web.com Tour
On behalf of the PGA TOUR, the Web.com Tour and our players and staff, thank you for making the inaugural Savannah Golf Championship a tremendous success. We appreciate your partnership and your support in allowing us to bring this special event to The Landings Club. Our players raved about Deer Creek Golf Course and the fantastic treatment they received while onsite. Please know that it’s because of your involvement, along with the countless volunteers and the great Savannah community, that we were able to have such a fantastic first year. We are eager to build on the success of 2018, so if you were not able to attend or be involved with this year’s tournament, we hope that you will find a way to participate next year. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing each of you at the 2019 Savannah Golf Championship.
President, Web.com Tour
Thank you to the Amicis Golf Group
The Amicis golf group sponsored Pete Vitiello, Chris Leake and Vinny Diroff to enter the Savannah Golf Championship Qualifier. Thanks for supporting our pros!
Sam Burns, Your Inaugural Champion!
Check out these fun facts about Sam Burns, 21, the winner of the inaugural Savannah Golf Championship! On his first season on Tour, Sam clinched the win with a birdie on #18, bringing his total score to 267. Burns was tied with Roberto Castro of Atlanta with -20, until the final putt. Visit Sam’s page on the PGA Tour website to keep tabs on his overall performance.
A look at Burns’ rookie season on Tour:
- Events Played:
- The Bahamas Great Exuma – 59
- Panama Championship – CUT
- Colombia Championship – T2
- Chitimacha Louisiana Open – T20
- Savannah Golf Championship – 1
- Burns is the seventh first-time winner this season and the second LSU Tiger (the first was Ben Taylor).
- He is the only player this season to close out a victory with three straight birdies.
- The first-place prize of $99,000 brings Burns’ total to $152,357, making him number four on the money list. The number to secure a PGA TOUR card through the Web.com Tour, this early in the season, is roughly $175,000. When he reaches $175K, he will secure his card but won’t get it until end of the season.
- Burns has made five PGA TOUR cuts and accrued 189 non-member FedExCup points. Needing 80 more points to earn Special Temporary Membership, he has two more exemptions left. Special Temporary Membership allows Sam to receive unlimited sponsor’s exemptions the rest of the 2017-18 FedExCup Season. The cap is normally seven sponsor’s invites in a PGA TOUR season.
- Burns’ stats during the Savannah Golf Championship:
- Fairways hit – 46/56 (T8)
- Greens in Regulation – 59/72 (T5)
- Putts – 114 (T21)
- Sam is two wins away from an instant promotion to the PGA TOUR! The last to do this was Wesley Bryan in 2016.
- He still has two sponsor’s exemptions on the PGA TOUR to use and doesn’t know where he will use those yet.
- He is in the field for the Memorial Tournament because he won the Jack Nicklaus award, given to the best College Golfer (like the Heisman Trophy), last year.
Savannah Golf Championship Final Round Statistics
Check out the final round postings of the Savannah Golf Championship below!