50th Anniversary Golden Nugget of the Week: Bridge to Skidaway Island
The original bridge over the Skidaway Narrows (also known as the Roebling Bridge for Mr. & Mrs. Robert Roebling who were influential in the establishment of the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography) was a drawbridge that opened in 1972. Bert Lance, then head of the Georgia Highway Department, cut the ribbon and gave the keynote speech.
Prior to the opening of the bridge, residents and visitors traveled to the island by ferry or small boat from Parkers Ferry on Isle of Hope. During the 19th Century, two small wooden bridges had connected the Island to the mainland. The first, built in 1858 for island farmers to move their crops to market, was burned by retreating Confederate forces to prevent its use by the Union Army. The second was built in 1870, but lasted only a short time before being destroyed by a "mysterious fire".
The drawbridge was replaced in 2014 by the existing fixed-span overpass, which opened after much delay due to construction issues.
This golden nugget is courtesy of Richard Burke, a Landings resident, and one of the developers of the community. Burke also is a member of the 50th Anniversary History Subcommittee.
This article was originally published by The Landings Association on their website. Visit landings.org to read the original article. https://landings.org/news/2022/01/24/50th-anniversary-golden-nugget-week-bridge-skidaway-island