Ridding Your Property of Armadillos

Sean Burgess - seanb@landings.org
Public Works Director

Over the past few weeks, an increasing number of residents have reached out to The Landings Association’s Public Works Department to share their concerns about armadillos frequenting their private property.

If you have an issue with armadillos or other such animals (e.g., squirrels and raccoons), following is a list of local companies who can assist with your trapping needs (please note that this only is a partial list of companies who provide this type of service in the Savannah area).

Company Name:

Phone Number:

Critter Control

(912) 898-5992

Knox Pest Control

(912) 351-3638

Preferred Pest Control

(912) 236-5135

Savannah Termite and Pest Control

(912) 777-3077

Yates Astro







If you are not yet ready to call in the professionals, below are some useful tips and educational information to help reduce the frequency of armadillos in and around your property:

  • Armadillos are nocturnal and eat worms, grubs, and insects. Keeping this food source out of your grass and landscaping (including mulch and pine straw areas) is the most beneficial way to rid yourself of these pests. Spraying a mixture of insecticides onto your grass also will create a barrier that will help prevent these types of insects from attracting the presence of armadillos.
  • Armadillos are not territorial; however, they are scent driven. If they establish a den hole or use your yard for any period of time, they will leave a scent in the soil that will last for a prolonged amount of time. This scent also may attract other armadillos to the same area/den.
  • If you have a reoccurring armadillo concern, there are repellents such as armadillo scram or yard guard that will help in removing the scent and deterring future armadillos in and around your property. The repellants should be used in any den holes or areas where the animal was spotted.

Remember, if you encounter sick or injured wildlife (deer, raccoon, etc.), the contracted USDA Wildlife Biologist (if available) will tend to those animals and remove them from the affected area upon request. If the Wildlife Biologist is unavailable and the animal is showing signs of disease or distemper, you can contact the Chatham County Health Department (356-2441), who then will dispatch Chatham County Animal Control to the scene.

If you have any other specific wildlife concerns related to deer, feral hogs, or migratory birds, please report the issue via SeeClickFix on the Association’s website (https://seeclickfix.com/landings-association?locale=en) or by using your TLA app.

This article was originally published by The Landings Association on their website.

Visit landings.org to read the original article.