Chatham Emergency Services Update
Why Become a Volunteer Firefighter
Sometimes a question comes up as to what the difference is between a volunteer firefighter and a career firefighter, and why you would want to be one. The simple answer is as a volunteer firefighter you do the same job, qualify at the same certification level, and face the same challenges. However, you also do other things to pay the utilities, mortgage, and grocery bills.
If you’re going to spend a fair amount of your time doing the job anyway, why aren’t you doing it for your regular paycheck? Below are some reasons why.
- Family You Never Knew Was Missing - It’s no secret that firefighters are a close-knit group of people. In the end, we trust each other with our lives, leading to bonds of friendship. Sure, just like any family, we have our ups and downs, but in the end, you know that they will be there, period.
- The Empty Nest - The kids are grown and off to college, but you’re by no means “over the hill” yet. Many parents who suddenly find themselves with lots of free time find meaning in their lives by joining the volunteer department. You are perfectly happy with the day job you already have, but by giving your time to the community through volunteer firefighting, you find a whole new “post-kid” chapter in your life.
- Strong Communities Come from Citizens Helping Each Other -There are plenty of volunteer firefighters who are there for one reason and one reason alone. Because giving your free time to help out neighbors who are experiencing a traumatic event is just a fundamentally decent thing to do. We are here with the sole focus of supporting and protecting this island we all call home.
- A Great Way to Make a New City a Home - If you are new to the island, becoming a volunteer firefighter is a great way to make a tangible commitment to your new neighborhood. Maybe you didn’t grow up dreaming about driving the big red (or yellow, depending on where you live) truck, perhaps you did, but it is a fantastic way to give back to the community that’s welcoming you.
- It’s Never Too Late to Try a New Thing - Life is about taking chances and pushing yourself forward. It does not matter what stage of life you are in; there is a role you can play. Our members are singles, parents, empty nesters, and retirees in the Skidaway Division. If you have the dedication, we have something you can do.
If you are interested in joining, please email Hunterm@chathames.org. We are more than happy to set up a time for you to come to our drill, meet the team, and see our work.
This article was originally published by The Landings Association on their website. Visit landings.org to read the original article. https://landings.org/news/2022/05/10/chatham-emergency-services-update